Skip to content Skip to main menu

Morgan Sindall Construction's North West team welcomes T Level students

News |

Morgan Sindall Construction’s North West team has welcomed aboard a group of young people currently studying T Level and T Level Transition Programme courses at The Manchester College.

As part of its role as an official employer partner of the College, and due to an increase in workload across the Greater Manchester region, Morgan Sindall has created a unique opportunity for 12 students to gain valuable on-site experience at a range of its live projects and in its Salford regional office over the coming months.

T Levels are an alternative to A levels, apprenticeships and other courses for 16-19 year olds. Equivalent in size to three A levels, a T Level focuses on vocational skills and can help students into skilled employment, higher study or apprenticeships.

Each T Level includes an in-depth industry placement that lasts at least 45 days. Students get valuable experience in the workplace while employers get early sight of the new talent in their industry.

T Level students spend 80% of the course in their learning environment, gaining the skills that employers need. The other 20% is an industry placement, where they put these skills into action.

Meet the new T-level team

The students undertaking their placements with Morgan Sindall will be based at projects including North Manchester General Hospital, Hammerstone Road Depot, House of Sport and a residential new build in Islington Wharf.

All the students will also gain experience of the preconstruction process, the contractor’s Intelligent Solutions approach and the steps it is taking to spearhead the decarbonisation of the construction industry.

Gill Roberts, Morgan Sindall Construction’s Social Value Manager for its North West region, said:

Working with The Manchester College has given us an opportunity to evolve our recruitment strategy and widens the talent pool we have access to. This year, 11 T Level students will complete a 45-day work placement with us and work on a wide-variety of projects across the North West.
During their placements the students will learn about our values and the standards of professionalism we expect from our employees. They also get the chance to decide if we are the right fit for them.”

Ceyennah James, Manchester College T level Student said:

“The world of construction fascinates me and my dream is to eventually become a project manager. I’ve grown up watching my uncle renovate and flip houses, and this has inspired me to learn more about how buildings are designed and built.

“I’ve chosen a T Level course as it will put me straight into industry and onto this pathway to project management. I’m so excited to start working on a live construction site with Morgan Sindall, and gaining invaluable experience for my future career.”

Christine Kenyon, Deputy Principal at The Manchester College, said: “Having access to high quality technical, career focussed education enables students from all backgrounds to take up the opportunities available to them and be part of the region’s economic growth.

“Partnerships with employers such as Morgan Sindall enable us to develop a curriculum that meets the needs of industry, but importantly provides our students with the opportunity to gain real hands-on experience of what it’s like working in their chosen field, developing the skills and confidence they need to succeed in work when they complete their course.”


For more information about this news release please contact Violet Pocock at Influential on 07498745284 or email [email protected].