Welcome to the project page for the SPECS Building, University of Hertfordshire project, which is being built by Morgan Sindall Construction.
Here you can read about the project and its positive effect on the community, and track progress as it happens.
- Located in a central position on the College Lane Campus in South Hatfield, the development will be delivered under the Southern Construction Framework (SCF), a quality-managed collaborative construction framework for public bodies to procure major building works using a two-stage open book process to deliver best value.
- The build will include several innovative elements and will aim for a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating.
- The five-storey steel framed SPECS building will be located across a 165,000 sq ft site and will be grouped across four separate internal houses divided by a central atrium. Its striking façade will feature materials including perforated metal, brickwork, and curtain walling.
- The design of the highly sustainable building was developed by the Morgan Sindall Construction team and their design team of ADP Architecture and Aecom and more recently TClarke, utilising the BIM 360 platform to enable models to be reviewed live in the working environment.
- Overall the contract programme runs over a two year period, with a contract completion date of 18th January 2024.
- Within the building itself, across the various schools of the university multiple complex items of kit such as wind tunnels, impact testers and strong floor areas are intertwined with the cleaner rooms such as nanotechnology and MEMS which required clean room level specification to the finishes.
About the project
SPECS Building at the University of Hertfordshire, is the new School of Physics, Engineering & Computer Science Building located within the University of Hertfordshire.
The project is a five-storey building that will provide workshops and laboratories as well as flexible teaching and learning environments. You can find out more about our appointment to the project in this press release.
Working in the Hertfordshire community
Making a positive difference in the communities we work is a vital part of our responsible business plan. Our Community Investment Group supports our project teams in the delivery of local community engagement projects. The Northern Home Counties team is part of the wider Morgan Sindall Construction business unit, which operates out of four regional offices, the Welwyn Garden City Office being associated with this project.
Ross Flavin, Site Manager, is the dedicated community contact for the SPECS Building Project and will maintain communications with neighbours and the surrounding community. If you have any questions, please do get in touch with Ross via the contact form at the bottom of the page with any queries regarding the project.
As a business we are proud members of the Considerate Constructors Scheme, which has a Code of Considerate Practice designed to encourage best practice beyond statutory requirements.
This page will provide a snapshot of activities we have been undertaking in the local community.
News and updates
SPECS project team create planters for local charity
Last week, the SPECS project team helped upgrade the garden of local Hertfordshire Charity for their 'Future Roots' home by building planters to enable the tenants to grow their own vegetables and other shrubs.
'Continuing Personal Development' event held at SPECS site
This week, Central Piling Limited joined the SPECS project team and consultants to deliver a presentation on Continuing Personal Development.